- Arts and Social Hub
- EcoHouse Project
- Family Activities
- Gio's Nest-box Forum
- Port Phillip Baykeeper
- Tawny Frogmouth sightings
- Affiliated Groups
Workshop - Basic Beginner Gardening
Event date:Saturday, 16 June 2012 - 10:00am
Event location:EcoCentre & garden
So you are a real beginner to gardening and want to learn about growing food! Well this workshop is for you! Its all (and only) about the basics. In this workshop we will run through some ground gardening knowledge, your very first steps in creating a little oasis, and simple measures to maintain it.
• The real beginning - What is a fruit and vegetable, an annual and a perennial, and common plant families. Plant ID will be explored.
• Baby science - How a plant works
• Where to begin - What are good plants to start out with and what plants are easy to grow.
• Garden layout – A little bit of Permaculture and what plants don't mind shade.
• Seasons dictate – What are the summer and winter crops.
• Practical gardening - Learn to sow a seed, and plant a plant, as well as maintaining it, watering, fertilising, mulching and harvesting.
• A bit more knowledge - What is really organic gardening and what is a Heirloom variety.
This workshop is for anyone with little or no gardening knowledge. Structure will be practical.
Time: 10am - Noon. Then hang around for lunch!
Cost: $25 non-member; $20 member; Free for garden volunteers. All money goes to the Ecocentre.
Please bring your own lunch. We will harvest a salad from the garden! Tools provided.
Limited to 15 people. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
26 May 2013 - 9:00am
1 June 2013 - 11:30amPort Phillip EcoCentre
2 June 2013 - 9:00am
2 June 2013 - 10:30amAlma Road community garden, Te Arai Avenue, St Kilda East
5 June 2013 - 12:45pmMelbourne CBD- Corner of Bourke and Elizabeth Streets